Monday, April 4, 2011

Introduction

I guess I should start off by telling you a little about myself. I am a 28 year old mother first and foremost. I work full-time outside of the home and I am a full-time student. I am also the assistant to the Pastor of my church, as well as the web designer for the church. I've been "in" church for almost 11 years now. I was not raised in church and I have not always done what I was supposed to or even what was expected of me. Through God's grace and mercy, He's brought me through all of my trials and tribulations and has forgiven all of my stubborness and rebelious ways. HE saw fit to continue to work on me and change me into who HE needed me to be, not who I thought I should be.

Ok, now that you know a little about me, I'll explain why I felt the need to create this blog (which I know I know, is just another drop in an ocean of blogs). Honestly, I felt the need to create this blog to help others who are in the position that I personally find myself in. Once I finally realized that God actually had plans for my life, I began searching for my ministry. I knew I wanted to do SOMETHING for the Lord, but I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I have been a Sunday School teacher to younger children, pre-teens, and to high school aged teens. I have helped in the soundroom of the church, I am a choir member, I'm on the praise team, I have worked in the outreach department and have been the church photographer. I have helped in almost all departments of the church and still did not feel that I had found my part of the ministry. That was until about 2 years ago. About 2 years ago, I saw a need, my Pastor was in dire need of an assistant who understood scheduling constraints, and technology that would assist him in maintaining his schedule. I immediately knew that was what I was supposed to do! I was supposed to play a supporting role in one of the greatest ministries in the church! My Pastor's ministry!! Seeing that I am a secretary for a very large company, I knew I had the skills, training and knowledge to help him. So, for the last 2 years I have supported my pastor and helped him in any way I could, from typing letters to designing flyers to creating a webpage for the church. Over the last few months I have felt that there is more that God wants me to do (not that He doesn't want me to continue in my supporting role for my pastor, but that there is more in His plans).

Recently I attended a Music Conference at Indiana Bible College and one of the classes I attended was called Church Marketing and Design. It was in this class that God finally opened my eyes and gave me that AH HA moment. While I was sitting in the class, I had solutions to problems that other churches were having. Some of the people in the class were sharing how their church had spent THOUSANDS of dollars to have an outside company create their web pages (I created our webpage for the cost of the hosting each month which is less that $10 a month!). Many of my fellow classmates also voiced their concerns about graphic design and designing flyers and such. I had answers for them too! I immediately knew what God had in store for me! So I opened my mouth and I answered as many questions as I could, and gave out my email address for anyone who needed my help... my FREE help! My ministry IS a ministry of support for others! THAT is what God wants me to do! Just like Aaron and Hur lifted up the arms of Moses while he held back the Red Sea (supported him while he did the Lord's will), my role is to support others while they do the Lord's will. Through this blog, I will share tips and answer questions that will help churches grow and expand. It is my prayer that I am able to bless someone with the knowledge and talents I have been blessed with. I also hope and pray that I am able to help others who are also called into the ministry of support. "Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. And when he had thus spoken, he kneeled down, and prayed with them all." Acts 20:34-36

No comments:

Post a Comment